Mt Zion Presbyterian Church
Sandy Springs residents would gather periodically in the early 1800s for camp meetings at the nearby spring. For regular Sunday worship they had to go to Roberts Presbyterian in Anderson. In 1832 a request was granted for the Sandy Spring Presbyterian Church to be established. A frame structure church building was erected at the present site on land donated by Mr. Archibald McElroy. In 1842 the presbytery changed the name to Mt. Zion Presbyterian Church.
The Civil War years were difficult ones, but afterwards discussions began about the construction of a new church building. On April 25, 1886 the new building was dedicated to the Lord’s service by J.B. Adger. The sanctuary, in which members still worship today, was built by church members and members of the community with bricks made in the nearby Denver community. Additional building projects were completed in the 1950s and 1980s for Christian education, fellowship, and service. A manse was completed and dedicated in the late 1960s for a full-time pastor.
For over 175 years the congregation in Sandy Springs has been there to guide and nurture those who enter the doors. Our members desire to follow our long history of faithfulness as we follow the instruction of the Westminster Shorter Catechism, our chief end is to glorify God and enjoy god forever. Mt. Zion continues to be a shining beacon of light in spreading God’s Word, singing praises, proclaiming grace of Christ Jesus through the sacraments, and participating in God’s kingdom through mission and service in the community, nation, and world.
Through the grace of ourLord Jesus Christ,
the love of God, and the communion of the Holy Spirit,
we trust in the one triune God, the Holy One of Israel,
whom alone we worship and serve.
Mt. Zion Presbyterian Church
1501 Sandy Springs Road
PO Box 429
Sandy Springs, SC 29677
Mount Zion Email
A small church with a big heart! Come Visit!